ताजा खबर

Kashmir shuts on 81st consecutive day

SRINAGAR (KNS): While the restrictions and shutdown continued on the 81ststraight day in Kashmir, clashes and protests were reported in couple of areas today.

Meanwhile, all the educational institutions, main markets, public transport and other businesses were suspended across the Valley on 81st day.

However, the uptown areas of summer capital including the business hub Lal Chowk, Raj Bagh, Jawahar Nagar, Dalgate and others witnesses a considerable movement of private transports today as well.

Besides, reports of clashes and protests were reported in several areas in central Kashmir during the day.

Reports said that a 20 year old girl died while her sister is battling for life in a Srinagar hospital after they were hit by a Scorpio vehicle early today in Parimpora area of the capital city.

Reports quoting sources said that in a bid to save himself and his vehicle from the stone-pelters, a Scorpio driver reversed his vehicle and during the process hit the siblings who were on morning walk near Parimpora area.
According to the police officials, the slain girl identified as Fozia Akhtar daughter of Muhammad Sadiq of Gulab Bagh Parimpora, a 2nd year student while her younger sister Nadia Akhtar, a class 12th student is battling for life in the hospital.

Jammu and Kashmir Police, in a statement issued to KNS, said “Stone pelting led to death of a young girl Tuesdaymorning when she along with her sister was hit by a vehicle near Parimpora Srinagar,” a police statement said. “The vehicle was moving backwards and hit the girls as it came under stone pelting by miscreants,” police said.

They said that a case FIR number 222/16 has been registered and investigation has been taken up.

Police said that one person namely Furqan Hamid Son of Abdul Hamid resident of Zoonimar was injured when “miscreants” pelted stones on him while he was riding a scooty near Allie Masjid Eidgah, Safa Kadal. He received injury in his head. The injured person has been shifted to SKIMS Soura for treatment, where his condition is stable.

Meanwhile, in Batamaloo area of Srinagar, a protest rally was carried out in the area in which both men and women participated.

The protesters raised anti-India and pro-freedom slogans during the rally.

According to KNS correspondent, following the pro-freedom rally, minor clashes erupted between youth and forces in the area during which forces used tear gas canisters to disperse the youth.

Witnesses told KNS that the clashes were also erupted in other couple of areas including Gandarpora, Noorbagh and Cement Kadal.

Locals told KNS that forces used pepper gas, tear gas canisters to disperse the youth in the area. “The clashes as per the locals were ongoing till late evening hours,” they said.

Meanwhile, in South Kashmir districts, clashes and protests were reported in several areas throughout the day.

In Kanilwan village of Bijbehara town, clashes erupted between youth and forces after forces tried to foil the protest rally in the area.

Reports said that clashes erupted in Kanilwan village of Bijbehara of Anantnag district after government forces tried to foil a pro-freedom rally.

The rally as per the reports was organized for unity among various sects who had come to attend the rally.

However, a large contingent of forces appeared at the venue and ransacked the equipments besides allegedly beating up people triggering clashes in the area.

“Forces used several tear gas canisters to disperse the youth who were throwing stone son them,” reports said.

Meanwhile, reports said that the forces earlier ransacked scores of residential houses and damaged several other goods as well.

According to KNS correspondent, clashes erupted between youth and forces in Pampore, Sombar area of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district during which forces used tear gas canisters to disperse the youth. 

Reports of clashes and protests were also reported from several other localities as well.

Meanwhile, a complete shutdown was observed across North Kashmir districts.

All the educational institutes, business establishments remained closed while the traffic was thin on roads.
However, reports said that in Botengo area of Sopore, hundreds of women took out a pro-freedom rally.

Reports quoting eye witnesses said that the women chanted pro-freedom and anti-India freedom slogans during the protest.

The protesting women later dispersed peacefully.

Meanwhile, the curfew imposed in Kishtwar district following a stone pelting incident triggered by arrest of three persons remained in force for the third consecutive day today.

Reports said that three persons were arrested on Saturday night and booked under the Public Safety Act (PSA) for allegedly disrupting peace in the district following which some persons resorted to stone pelting prompting the authorities to impose curfew in the district.

Reports said that one more person, Asif, was detained by police during a raid last night for disrupting peace in the mountainous district.

Meanwhile, according to a statement issued by the Zonal Police Headquarters Kashmir, the situation remained by and large normal and peaceful today although a couple of stray stone pelting incidents were reported.

According to the statement, an incident of arson was reported from Kulgam this afternoon. “Miscreants in their attempt to disturb the situation set on fire a Panchayat Ghar at village Kujar in district Kulgam,” it said.

The statement said that in its continuous efforts to curb the activities of trouble mongers police arrested 51 miscreants during past 24 hours who were involved in different offences of causing disturbance in the situation in the valley.

The statement said that during the day good movement of traffic was observed in the valley including the city Srinagar. “A large number of street vendors selling different articles of daily use were on the streets of Srinagar city,” it said.

Meanwhile, in a separate statement issued by the Zonal Police Headquarters Jammu, situation in the Jammu region remained by and large normal and peaceful. “No untoward incident was reported from any part of the region,” it said adding that the district administration Kishtwar announced relaxation in curfew in the Kishtwar town from 1200 hours to 1600 hours today. (KNS)

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं