ताजा खबर

Shutdown, clashes continue on 62nd day in Valley

SRINAGAR (KNS): Though the Valley observed complete shutdown on 62nd straight day in Kashmir, the clashes and protests were reported in several areas during the day while scores of person sustained injuries and were shifted to the hospital for treatment.

Besides clashes and protests in several areas of South Kashmir districts, the suspected militants in the intervening night of Wednesday-Thursday decamp with four rifles in Kulgam district.

Suspected militants in the intervening night of Wednesday-Thursday attacked the residence of a political leader in Damhal Hanjipora area of South Kashmir Kulgam district and decamped with four rifles of policemen after disarming them.

According to KNS correspondent, sources in the police department informed that during the intervening night of Wednesday-Thursday, a group of militants barged into the house of Khanday and thrashed the family of Khanday as well as the guard who were posted at his residence in Begom in Kulgam district.

“Militants decamped with two INSAS rifles, one SLR rifle and a 303 rifle of one selection grade, one constable and two SPO’s,” they informed.

Khanday as per KNS correspondent was block and Zone president of National Conference (NC). However, reports quoting the NC party leader said that Khanday had severed ties with them in 2002.
“Militants also thrashed Khanday’s family and guards as well,” sources said.

Meanwhile, scores of people were after forces attacked a pro-freedom rally in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district.

Reports said that a pro-freedom rally was going on in Bathnoor-Lassipora village of Pulwama.
“However, forces used tear gas shells and pellets to disperse the protesters which resulted in the injuries to scores of civilians,” reports said.

Reports said that people from Trichil, Tahab, Tumlahal and Armulla said that the forces vandalized their residential houses and beat up the inmates as well.

They said that several persons were detained by the forces in Lassipora and Tantraypora villages.

Meanwhile, in Tral area of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district, clashes broke out between youth and forces after a raid by the government forces.

Witnesses said that clashes erupted in Mir Mohalla and Batpora areas of Dadsara after forces raided to make some arrests. “Scores of residential houses were damaged by the forces during the raid in the area,” reports quoting residents alleged.

Meanwhile, according to KNS correspondent, thousands of people attended a pro-freedom rally in Keller area of South Kashmir’s Shopian district during which protesters raised pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.

Earlier, forces tried to forces tried to foil the rally but despite the forces action, people managed to held a rally in the village, witnesses said.

They said that scores of people were injured during the forces action.

Witnesses said that People from adjoining areas reached the venue and held a pro-freedom rally in which thousands of people participated.

Meanwhile, clashes erupted between youth and forces in Nadwa village of Shopian during which forces used tear gas canisters to disperse the youth. However, as per KNS correspondent, no injury was reported during the clashes in the village.

Meanwhile, reports said that over a dozen of people were injured when forces fired tear gas canisters and pellets to disperse the people who assembled to hold a pro-freedom rally in Qazigund area of South Kashmir.

Witnesses said that a pro-freedom rally was scheduled to be held at Four-way Chuymul in Qazigund and a stage was set up the locals.

“However, forces raided the venue around 2 AM and clashes erupted as volunteers were patrolling the area,” reports quoting a local from the area said.

He added that the clashes erupted between youth and forces in the area as well. During which over a dozen of people were injured.

Locals said that four pellet hit injured were shifted to hospital while reports quoting doctors said that one pellet hit victim was referred to Islamabad district hospital for specialized treatment as his left eye was damaged after being hit by pellets.

The doctor identified the injured as Muzaffar Ahmad Wani, s/o Mohammad Yusuf Wani, who is 23-year-old youth, a resident of Wagund Qazigund.

In Central Kashmir, a complete shutdown was observed throughout the day, besides clashes and protests in some areas.

According to KNS correspondent, a huge pro freedom rallies were held at Panzan and Nassarulahpora villages of Budgam today.

Witnesses said that thousands of people from various areas of the district participated in these rallies where pro freedom and anti Indian slogans were raised.

“Activists from all the factions of Hurriyat also participated in the rally,” they said. 

They said that in Panzan, clashes erupted early today when forces allegedly tried to foil the rally organized at Higher Secondary school ground. Forces used tear gas canisters and pellets to disperse the protesters during which few civilians sustained minor injuries during the clashes. 

In Nassarulahpora, speakers from pro freedom camp laid stress on the unity among various sects of the valley.

Meanwhile, clashes erupted between youth and forces in Batamaloo area of Srinagar during which forces used tear gas canisters to disperse the youth.

Besides clashes and shutdown, curfew like restrictions continued in old city area of Srinagar, residents said, adding that they are not being allowed to move outside of their homes.

Meanwhile in North Kashmir, clashes and protests were reported from couple of areas while complete shutdown was observed on 62nd day today.

According to KNS correspondent, clashes erupted between youth and forces in Kaloosa area of north Kashmir’s Bandipora district during which forces used tear gas canisters to disperse the youth. However, no injury was reported during the clashes.

Meanwhile, the residents of Hajin offered Asr prayers on roads to mark a protest against the civilian killings in Kashmir.

As per KNS correspondent, people assembled on the main raid in Hajin and offered Asr prayers on roads.

They raised pro-freedom and anti-India slogans after the prayers.

Meanwhile, the residents of Ajas staged protest against the detention of a father of two.

The protestors blocked Srinagar-Bandipora highway amid shouting of pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.

They were demanding immediate release of sumo driver Mehraj-ud-din (32), who they said was arrested yesterday by police.

“He is not involved in any kind of stone-pelting activity. He is innocent," said a protestor.

He said they had pleaded before police to release Mehraj – father of two – but they didn’t listen to them.

Meanwhile, inhabitants of Ajar village of Bandipora said that the forces barged into their homes and beat up the inmates without any provocation.

They said that forces personnel barged into the houses at around 10 pm and thrashed the inmates ruthlessly.

“They damaged residential houses, broke windowpanes and damaged property worth lakhs and beat up the inmates. Two persons received severe injuries," said a group of villagers, demanding action against erring officials.

Reports of minor clashes and protests were reported from other North Kashmir districts as well.

Meanwhile, a spokesman of the Zonal Police Headquarters Kashmir today said that the overall situation remained under control throughout the Valley. “However, some stray stone pelting incidents were reported till filing of this report,” he said.

The spokesman said that three incidents of stone pelting were reported from Budgam, Pulwama and Shopian. “At these places, miscreants assembled on the roads and attempted to disturb the normal traffic and movement of people by pelting stones on vehicles, police and security force deployments,” he said.

The spokesman said that increased movement of private and passenger vehicular traffic was observed in most parts of the Srinagar as also in the major towns of the valley.

The Spokesman further said that during the night intervening 7th and 8th September 2016 unknown militants entered into the Guard Room located at the residence of political protectee Abdul Rashid Khanday falling under the jurisdiction of Police Station, D H Pora, Kulgam and snatched the weapons from the police personnel deployed there.

The spokesman said that the snatched weapons include one SLR, one 303 Rifle and two INSAS. He said Police has taken the cognizance and investigations are on.

Meanwhile, reacting to a news report published in a section of the press titled, “Kulgam man dies of cardiac arrest amid teargas shelling”, a spokesman of the Zonal Police Headquarters Kashmir today said the allegation that the said person died due to cardiac arrest amid tear gas shelling is factually incorrect.

“According to the district police authorities Kulgam, the said person suffered cardiac arrest in Chawalgam village at around 09.00 AM in the morning. There was no tear smoke shelling going on at that time in the area,” the spokesman said adding that the security forces had to use tear smoke at 03.00 PM in the area to disperse the miscreants when they were pelting stones on the security force deployment. (KNS)

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं